How Our Kayak & SUP Rental Service Works
All About Water provides premium services and comprehensive rental packages.
In addition to our guided kayak tours along the shoreline, we provide a shuttle service to/from Crystal River, and rentals throughout Leelanau County.
How does it work?
Regarding morning half day, and all day rentals, All About Water will deliver the boats and other gear to the water the morning of the rental day as close to 9:00 a.m., or before, as is possible. Regarding afternoon rentals, All About Water will have the boats and other gear to the water as close to 1:00 p.m., or before, as is possible.
All About Water will notify you with a telephone call, text message, or email message when the boats and other gear have been delivered.
Your morning half day rental entitles you to use until 1:00 p.m. Afternoon and full day rentals end at 5:00 p.m.
Please see other information on this page about how, when, and where to return the equipment.
What to do when you’re done:
We have made equipment return as easy as possible. At the end of your rental period simply place all of the equipment into the mesh bags used to deliver the equipment to you.
- Enclose these bags within the larger nylon bag also provided.
- Enclose the nylon bag and secure it to the kayak with the padlock and cable also provided.
- Send us a picture by text or email of the properly secured equipment and we pick it up from there.
Simple as that!
You do all this where the kayak was delivered. You don’t take it to a special location. You don’t wait for someone to appear to take it from you. The mesh bags are large enough to contain all of the items. The blue nylon bag with the All About Water logo shown contains those two mesh bags.
These are shown so that you can see that the bags are oversized and that getting the equipment into and out of them is easy.
The rental time periods defined:
- Morning half day rental is 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Afternoon half day rental is 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- 9:00 a.m. the first day to 5:00 p.m. the second day for 2 (two) consecutive days.
- 9:00 a.m. the first day to 5:00 p.m. the third day for 3 (three) consecutive days.
- 9:00 a.m. the first day to 5:00 p.m. the fourth day for 4 (four) consecutive days.
- 9:00 a.m. the first day to 5:00 p.m. the fifth day for 5 (five) consecutive days.
- 9:00 a.m. the first day to 5:00 p.m. the sixth day for 6 (six) consecutive days.
- 9:00 a.m. the first day to 5:00 p.m. the seventh day for 7 (seven) consecutive days.
All About Water offers two kayak rental choices:
Single or Tandem Sit on Tops
First, what do these terms mean?
- Single – designed for one paddler*
- Tandem – designed for two paddlers
- Sit on Top – designed for you to sit on top of the boat, with a comfy seat back. Sit on tops are stable and easy to get onto.
- *An individual can safely and successfully paddle either of our models.
Designed for one paddler:
- Hybrid boat for an individual who wants to kayak and/or SUP
- Has areas designed for footing while SUP
- Has a molded-in seat, and we’ve added a seatback for kayaking
- When user is tired of Stand Up Paddle Boarding, can sit and kayak
- For paddlers up to 220 pounds
- For a lone adult, an adult with a small child, or two children
- Special feature is a window that allows peeking into the depths
- Really a unique kayak
- Specifically designed as a stable platform for fishing
- Stable while sitting and even while standing
- Adjustable seat for use while paddling, or casting
- Large area for footing while standing, casting, and landing catch
- Special features include rod holders, and others designed for fishing
- Can be used for recreation, but specially designed for fishing
- Shorter and narrower than our other models for smaller paddlers
- Has a tether that can be attached to another kayak so that if the youth paddler gets tired they can be safely towed
- Please note that this kayak is designed for children and has a weight capacity of 150 pounds
Designed for two paddlers:
Malibu Two XL
- One of the most popular tandem kayaks
- Designed for two adults, or two adults and a small child or pet
Zest Two EXP
- Practically in a class by itself
- Capacity of up to 600 pounds
- Two molded-in seats for adults and/or large children
- Extra room for small children and/or pets
- More room for important stuff like maybe a picnic lunch
- A very stable kayak that is surprisingly sleek through the water
(If you’re new to kayaking you may wonder if these model names have some technical significance or meaning. Relax! You’re not missing a thing. The names have no more significance than the name of your car.)
All About Water has purchased kayaks that are of the finest design and construction.
We provide sit-on-top kayaks because the collective wisdom of All About Water and our supplier, Johnson Outdoors, is that sit-on-top kayaks are the best choice for these waters.
We want our customers to have the greatest opportunity for a safe, pleasurable experience, and we’re confident that we’ve made the right choice.
Some reasons why these kayaks are the right choice:
- These boats were originally designed for the big waters of the Pacific Coast and Hawaii – large bodies of water with chop, swells, and possibly big waves
- Designed for stability, comfort, and ease of use
- No special skills needed to get back on kayak if you capsize
- Self bailing – holes throughout kayak to allow water to drain out
- Self-bailing means you never have to worry about the kayak filling up with water
Two Nalu 12.5 kayak/paddleboards. They can be used as stand up paddleboards, or kayaks. We provide the seatback, and a paddle with a removable end that can be either a t-handle or second blade.
Shuttle service to Crystal River?
Kayaks/SUPs to your cottage?
All About Water provides guided kayak tours within Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. The tours are along the shore from just north of Empire (on the west (left)) side of the map below.
All About Water can now shuttle you to the put-in on Crystal River, and pick you up just after the “shoot the tube” just over two miles downstream. (Crystal River is in Glen Arbor, just north of Empire.)
All About Water also rents, with free delivery in Leelanau County (the highlighted portion of the map just northwest of Traverse City), kayaks, and stand up paddleboards.
For those of you staying at a place on the water, you also have option to have us deliver the kayaks, stand up paddleboards, and the rest of the gear to your location.
If you are unfamiliar with the Leelanau Peninsula we encourage you to consider a destination there. We can suggest locations that will set you up for a successful outing no matter your experience level. Please see the self-guided-tour information on this website. There are links to several on the bottom of this page.
The Beauty and Majesty of Northern Michigan
The people who are familiar with the area, and especially those who live here and those who have spent parts of summers here for years or even generations, have known the beauty and felt the draw of this area long before any rankings were published.
All About Water is delighted be a part of this area and is happy to provide equipment that will enable you to experience in a very peaceful, intimate way some of the natural beauty that really is beyond words.
Self-guided Kayaking Tours in Northern Michigan